To be completely honest, on a personal level this year has kicked my ass physically. For those that don’t know, I was just recently released from the hospital after a 10 day stay (half of which was in the intensive care unit). Just hours after a lovely Thanksgiving dinner, I began to feel a pain in my stomach I’ve never felt before. As I’m normally used to such things (it’s been going on for years, I know, I’m an idiot for letting it keep going) I just tried to not think about it. By morning, I couldn’t walk, just crawl, vomit, cry, shit myself (let it never be said I won’t be completely honest with you guys) Finally, around 9:30 am on Black Friday, I admitted defeat and agreed to go to the hospital. I spent 10 days, getting needles stuck in me, tubes shoved up my dick, down my nostril into my stomach,and of course multiple things put in my rectum. The official diagnosis was a blockage in my stomach, (which,thankfully due to the sheer force of antibiotics and pain meds shrunk to a manageable level) and Crohns Disease. Crohns has been something my doctors have maintained that I had, but we couldn’t get a proper diagnosis. So, like an idiot, I just ignored it, and let it flare up. I shall ignore it no further. Plus side: I’m home, enjoying a new diet. I haven’t smoked in 14 days and in general I’m feeling good.
“What does this have to do with The Metal, and your year end list, you poop-filled fucker?” is definitely what you’re all wondering. Well, this was a part of my year,and I decided I wouldn’t do a “top whatever” list. Here instead is a list of my favorite “moments” from 2016. Moments can be bands, specific people, shows, whatever.
5. Nethergrave. These fucking guys showed up and crushed the death metal scene around here like it was 1991 again. They’ve only been around a few months and are already making BIG waves around here. Keep it up boys, 2017 is gonna do big things for you guys.
4. The Return of Seplophile. after a trio of shows this past year, all well attended, all amazingly received, I can’t be the only one saying “Holy fucking shit, welcome back, guys!”
3. The Last Reign. I’m not sucking up just because this is Mike Marlinski’s blog. This band spent the better part of the entire year, building themselves up to where they are now. Not taking short cuts, not taking every show, putting out one of the best releases of the year, and in general just being great guys to work with. These guys WORK. I expect more of the same in 2017.
2. Coming of RAGE Productions, The Metal, Eareckson, and the myriad of other “promoters” out there working their ass off to provide great shows for this scene. Some people are in it for the paycheck, I could name names, but this isn’t the place for that. These people aren’t. If you’re a band looking for a show in Buffalo, I would always first suggest you talk to Jeff Standish, Mike Marlinski or Eareckson Murray. We can’t always guarantee 500 people at the show, but you’ll get a dedicated team behind you, you’ll always get your money and you’ll have a blast every time.
1. The Benefit for Dale Hinz. This is simple for me, I’ve written multiple blogs about the show, both going into the event and coming out of the event. It was super emotional for me to do that show for my bro. He had an amazing time and we’re doing it again in 2017. and again in 2018. and every year, til he can get out of that bed, strap on his guitar and join his band onstage.